After a cruel school prank goes too far, Davie bids her humdrum Mississippi life farewell and runs of to Hollywood in pursuit of her own “Molly Ringwald Happy Ending.” This novel is perfect for fans of Ready Player One who lit up every time a John Hughes film was referenced. Here are 25 books like Ready Player One that might fit the bill for you. Much like its predecessor, Armada plays homage to video games and ’80s pop culture, with a huge emphasis on science-fiction. It’s all about a girl named Anda who spends most of her free time in Coursegold Online, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game. This novel is described as “a love letter to the 1980s and to nerds everywhere.” If he were to read this book, James Halladay would be drooling over all of the ’80s pop culture references, including Freddy Krueger, Beetlejuice, Top Gun, Commodore 64 video games, and Eddie Murphy, just to name a few. i-R0k is an antagonist with the story. But if you’re one of the many readers who devoured this book and/or has seen Stephen Spielberg’s recent film adaptation, you’re probably wondering what else you can read to fill the RP1 void while you wait for Cline to finish writing the sequel. Das Buch beschreibt die Abenteuer einer Schatzsuche, die ein in ärmlichen Verhältnissen lebender Jugendlicher im Jahr 2044 in einem Computerspiel namens OASIS erlebt. Anderson’s Feed where people connect to the Internet via feeds in their brain. When I was writing the novel, I always envisioned the Oasis as an allegory for the modern Internet. If you see this later and have more to add that would be great! This is a novel all about alternate timelines rather than virtual worlds, but I feel like both of those concepts are still in the same ballpark. At the center of all of these ’80s throwbacks is a sweet story of friendship and young love. I've just read Ready Player One and I would like to know if you know more similar books. Ready Player One was a book adapted into a movie, where society revolves around a video game. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. I just finished reading Ready Player One, and it was phenomenal. Here’s another novel that’s a fun mixture of pop culture and sci-fi that should appeal to Ready Player One fans. The Martian is a great choice in the list of books like Ready Player One which was published in 2011 and it is the story of an American Astronaut Mark Watney who left stranded on Mars alone. In an effort to make some fast cash in the highly competitive bounty hunting business, Emika hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—”only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.”. I enjoyed the combat and fantasy/video game aspect of it but not the extreme amount of references from the 80's. Book like Ready Player One. Cadigan picks up the pace as the story progresses to eventually tie together seemingly disparate ideas into a masterfully crafted final section. What do you do when you’re a alien species that’s come to earth to make contact with humans, but you’re having trouble closing the deal because you smell like rotting fish? Into the whole futuristic dystopian setting of Ready Player One? But as far as I am concerned this sequel never happened. When Zack crosses paths with a UFO, he soon realizes his gaming skills will be required for a far greater purpose. This novel will have you questioning what your own life would be like if you had made different choices. A.R.C.A.D.I.A. He spends his time as a "gunter"--or egg hunter--  within the advanced OASIS enhanced reality program. Armada: A novel by the author of Ready Player One, The Ultimate Guide to Dieselpunk 101 [2020], 320 Pages - 11/28/2017 (Publication Date) - Simon & Schuster (Publisher), 440 Pages - 12/04/2020 (Publication Date) - Del Rey (Publisher), 320 Pages - 08/16/2016 (Publication Date) - Mulholland Books (Publisher), 496 Pages - 03/27/2018 (Publication Date) - Ballantine Books (Publisher), 448 Pages - 04/02/2013 (Publication Date) - Grove Press (Publisher), 384 Pages - 04/12/2016 (Publication Date) - Ballantine Books (Publisher), 496 Pages - 11/13/2012 (Publication Date) - Gollancz (Publisher), 368 Pages - 08/03/2010 (Publication Date) - DAW (Publisher), 496 Pages - 09/04/2012 (Publication Date) - Tor Teen TR (Publisher), 375 Pages - 08/24/2010 (Publication Date) - Delacorte Press (Publisher), 400 Pages - 11/01/2016 (Publication Date) - Ace (Publisher), 416 Pages - 06/26/2018 (Publication Date) - Speak (Publisher), 672 Pages - 10/18/2016 (Publication Date) - Knopf Books for Young Readers (Publisher), 320 Pages - 03/21/2017 (Publication Date) - Square Fish (Publisher), 352 Pages - 07/15/1994 (Publication Date) - Tor Science Fiction (Publisher), “Full of high stakes, thrillers, and fantastic twists and turns, fans of Ready Player One are sure to love this addictive read.” —Buzzfeed “A potent commentary on how much we’re willing to give up to the lure of technology.” —EW "A fantastic journey from start to finish." The enemy is winning. Planetary invasion and terrifyingly powerful AI are completely normal in this world. 2 comments. This is another novel you’d probably have to be dead to have missed, especially if you’re a fan of sci-fi; however, if you’re only familiar with the lackluster film adaptation and have yet to give this book series a try, definitely check this out. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Ready Player One. And yes, this is another sci-fi novel about a game. Ready Player One was a fascinating science fiction book, one that became so popular that it got the adaptation treatment. Book recommendations for people who like Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Read to find out. Specialized visors, gloves, and enhanced virtual reality makes Ready Player One 0. This is a novel I’m recommending for reasons similar to the reasons I recommended Dark Matter. But this deter him from his cause? Find all the books, read about the author, and more. The story is an essential read for sci fi fans who haven’t encountered Herbert’s series, and is also the perfect reread for older fans. Fans of Ready Player One who enjoyed the struggle against Innovative Online Industries are sure to find themselves immersed in this plot. Ready Player One ist der Titel eines dystopischen Science-Fiction-Romans von Ernest Cline aus dem Jahr 2011. How much different is the movie? So Tom does what any heartsick person in 2016 would do. these book selections are ok. because I couldn’t find any at any book stores. Johnny thinks he’s only playing a game when he sets a new high score in the arcade game Only You Can Save Mankind. The book’s protagonist, Darrow, soon realizes that his place in this world is based upon a lie, and he decides to do something about it. Archived . If ’80s pop culture references are your jam (and if you love Ready Player One, they probably are), this book is for you. By Cat Wyatt Mar 12, 2020. Liu’s novel takes on the classic science-fiction premise of alien contact with Earth while also delving into Chinese culture and politics as well. The books on this list have been selected purely on the fact they share something in common with Ready Player One, whether that’s the virtual reality setting, story of a young underdog rebel, or simply a love of nostalgia and references to past culture. The Impossible Fortress is absolutely packed with 80s cultural references and nostalgia. He hops into a time machine to try to win back the girl. This is the first in The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy by Terry Pratchett. Quotes. Close. We surrender.” This novel takes place during the first Gulf War, so now reading this in contemporary times, this novel might also fulfill a sort of nostalgia factor, especially with the retro games. Ready Player One : 3 surrounded by teenagers whose clothing, hairstyles, and dance moves all indicate that the time period is the late 1980s. The Martian and Ready Player One are linked by one key theme - the main character’s desire to overcome seemingly insurmountable struggles to achieve their aim. What really sets Snow Crash apart from other books in the genre is its humorous slant on the future of America and virtual reality. If you loved Ready Player One, you should check out Cline’s most recent novel Armada. Could the Ready Player One movie been much better? 2011 science fiction novel, and the debut novel of American author Ernest Cline. Tom doesn’t seem like a hero. Books like Ready Player One. Here's a fantastic free way to do so: 1. Blake Crouch’s Dark Matter is a thought-provoking sci fi tale which leaves readers questioning the very nature of reality and identity. The plot of The Martian is set in the year 2035 where Nasa Ares 3 crew heads to the Mars for a mission. In Dark Matter, protagonist Jason Dessen is kidnapped and thrown into a world that closely resembles his own, except in this world an alternate version of himself has created a box that allows people to travel the multiverse. Books like Ready Player One. An Unwelcome Quest Scott Meyer. In fact, I’m pretty surprised this is the first time My Best Friend’s Exorcism has shown up on one of my Book Riot posts. I just can't brush it off though; I keep thinking about it. If you sign up for their free trial, you can download any two books, and even keep them if you decide to discontinue. Warcross has been praised for its convincing and immersive portrayal of a sophisticated online world. Cant wait to see the movie were they strip out this trans stuff. The virtual reality game found here is an exciting one full of myth, magic, and danger. Read 87 316 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. Register for free to build your own book lists. He is the author of the novels Ready Player One and Armada and co-screenwriter of the film adaptation of Ready Player One, directed by Steven Spielberg.His books have been published in over fifty countries and have spent more than 100 weeks on The New York Times bestsellers list. Just as Wade entered the world of the OASIS and risked it all, the first man to walk on Mars faces the same struggle for survival here. This draws some undue attention to force him into hiding. And since I think Ender’s Game is a great book for Ready Player One fans, this book makes the list. For those of you have read the book and seen the film though... Click Here to get a complete list of all Easter Eggs shown in Steven Spielberg's film adaptation of Ready Player One. Similar read works were Reamde and Snow Crash by Neal … You can check out any two of the books on this list, for no cost at all, thanks to Audible's one month free trial. I enjoy the simple puzzle, treasure hunting style books. So, start your journey now and get on your way to discovering new and amazing books that you might just never be able to put down. But what changes were made in the course of that adaptation? This naturally results in poorer gamers being exploited by the wealthy for immoral reasons. Ready Player One became a fan favorite for gamers, sci-fi lovers, and YA readers, and these 15 similar movies should also tickle their fancy. Otherworld is the first installment in the series of the same name by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. He's looking for Easter Eggs within the programming. 5 comments. Authors Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff portray the darkside of technology and the consequences when the systems we give control of our lives to stop functioning as intended. Emika Chen is the main character, a hacker who is thrust into surprising and powerful circumstances. Unlike Ready Player One and other books where virtual reality is already an established part of society, Catharsis opens with a new kind of virtual reality game being released for the first time. I highly recommend this one. is a platform that offers a complete simulated reality by tapping into direct brain scans in order to intuit what its users want to do next and to give them a complete sensory experience. If you liked Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, here are some books like this: Off to Be the Wizard Scott Meyer. Much like Ready Player One, Marie Lu’s Warcross is about an online game that isn’t just a game, but a “way of life.” Teenage hacker Emika Chen is a bounty hunter who tracks down players who bet on the game illegally. Sinister forces are at work to attack and destroy this world, but with devastating offline consequences. 2016 is a high tech Utopian paradise, but it’s missing the one thing protagonist Tom most wants—the love of his life. Editor’s note: Scott Card is a vocal homophobe who uses his income to support those “causes,” so this one might be best borrowed from a friend or picked up second-hand. If your favorite part of Ready Player One its reverence for nerdy pop culture, then this is the book for you. I just read Ready Player One and really liked it. Ready Player One was one of my favorite books and will remain that. In my opinion, Stephenson’s Snow Crash is the sci-fi/cyberpunk book that most closely resembles the world of Ready Player One, so if the cyber universe of RP1 is what most attracted you to that book, you really should check out Snow Crash‘s “metaverse.” Hiro Protagonist, much like Wade, is a nobody in the real world, just a pizza delivery boy, but in the metaverse, he’s a warrior prince. Buy a cheap copy of Ready Player One book by Ernest Cline. Ender’s Game features epic scenes of battle packed with an incredible twist ending. Info/Buy. Any books sort of like it that will take my mind off of "RPO" and into a new world? Enough already! “It’s 1980-something and all nine-year-old Jake Doyle wants for Christmas is a Nintendo Entertainment System.” This novel has been compared to the classic ’80s Christmas movie A Christmas Story, but with more video games. Insignia’s main character is a talented but young and nerdy virtual reality gamer, Tom Raines. Scott Pilgrim is a 23-year-old Canadian guy who plays in a band and dates a high school girl. —Hypable New York Times bestselling authors Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller imagine a world in which you can leave your body behind and give into your greatest desires in the first book in a fast-paced trilogy perfect for f, 368 Pages - 10/31/2017 (Publication Date) - Delacorte Press (Publisher), 480 Pages - 06/04/2013 (Publication Date) - Katherine Tegen Books (Publisher), 123 Pages - 11/22/2013 (Publication Date), 387 Pages - 10/28/2014 (Publication Date) - Broadway Books (Publisher), 315 Pages - 06/01/2004 (Publication Date) - Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Publisher), 256 Pages - 05/01/2007 (Publication Date) - Square Fish (Publisher), NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY, BUZZFEED, AND SHELF AWARENESS, 416 Pages - 12/04/2020 (Publication Date) - Del Rey (Publisher), 896 Pages - 09/01/1990 (Publication Date) - Ace (Publisher). Warcross by marie lu. Der Debütroman landete sofort auf verschiedenen Bestsellerlisten[1] und brachte für den Autor die literarische Anerkennung. Maze Runner is the perfect introduction to a dystopian world of trial and challenge where making it out alive is the only real game in town. Alif, the book’s protagonist, is a hacker forced underground by a romantic betrayal with violent political consequences. This is similar to virtual reality, but much much cooler. If you’re ready to enjoy your next virtual sci-fi experience, you can get any of these books for free. (No spoiler zone here. This first novel follows Ender’s growth from precocious child to tactical war genius. Ready Player One was a best seller, but I have no idea why. These two authors just seem to be on similar wavelengths. Share Share Tweet Email. Here at TopSciFiBooks our goal is to scour the internet in hopes to find the best Science Fiction Books out there for you. Find books like Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) from the world’s largest community of readers. The book is set in a complex virtual online world which has drawn comparisons to Ready Player One. It received glowing commendations from the likes of NPR, The New York Times, Wired, John Scalzi, Patrick Rothfuss, and many, many more. Rather, an alien named Tao escapes the uninhabitable Earth by implanting in Roen’s brain. When Ling discovers corruption and unjustness in her online gaming world, she decides to take a stand, and fight her most important battle yet. We're giving away a $250 gift card to Barnes and Noble. The book’s main character is Jason, a man plunged into an unfamiliar world where his loved ones aren’t around and he seems to be someone entirely different. If you like Ready Player One and have not read Snow Crash—which is one of the best science fiction books ever written—now is the time to grab it … Sort by . For the Win by Cory Doctorow delves deep into the economic impact of virtual reality online gaming. The Maze Runner by James Dashner presents a mysterious story where groups of young people are forced to escape a complex maze. Enjoy! He’s a short fourteen-year-old with bad skin. The Martian is a modern sci fi classic and very deserving of its acclaimed film adaptation. Set in a high-tech version of Cape Town, South Africa, Beukes’s highly imaginative novel follows four protagonists: “Kendra, an art-school dropout, brands herself for a nanotech marketing program; Lerato, an ambitious AIDS baby, plots to defect from her corporate employers; Tendeka, a hot-headed activist, is becoming increasingly rabid; and Toby, a roguish blogger, discovers that the video games he plays for cash are much more than they seem.” If this super awesome book cover isn’t enough to hook you, then I don’t know what to do for you. Dystopian parallels with the world we currently occupy. They're not eggs in your typical sense of the word. Back in 2011, Ready Player One was, perhaps, the year's most well-reviewed book. Now he must face all seven of Ramona’s ex-boyfriends in battle before he can win this awesome girl’s heart. Book like Ready Player One. Genius: The Game brings together a young band of tech geniuses in much the same way that Ready Player One united a team of skilled and obsessive gamers. I thought it was slow, badly written and full of formulaic tropes. This is for fans of Ready Player One who love a good nerd-turned-hero story arc. share. Books like Ready Player One. Just go read the book. This one is pretty fun. See all formats and editions Hide other formats and editions. I loved it. Search the world's most comprehensive index of full-text books. Thanks! Online VR games are big business. Definitely one to check out for Ready Player One fans. We put together a list of books like ready player one (all released in 2015) so that you can get your scifi-adventure-video-game-nostalgia reading time on. Yes, this novel is co-written by the actor Jason Segel of How I Met Your Mother and Muppets fame. Fans of the 80s nostalgia and computer based romance of Ready Player One will find much to enjoy here. are you sure these even are real books? Red Rising is set on the planet Mars in a future dystopian society. Maybe you’ve been living under a rock for the past several years and have somehow missed all the buzz surrounding Ernest Cline’s sci-fi nostalgia-fest novel Ready Player One. Posted by 3 years ago. Ready Player One - Kindle edition by Cline, Ernest. The salvation may be Tom Raines. While Ready Player One has the virtual reality OASIS world, Neal Stephenson’s Snow Crash takes place in the epic online Metaverse. However, in the course of an elaborate prank with his friends, Billy ends up crossing paths with a girl who loves computers just as much as he does. Roen is an out-of-shape IT guy who, unlike protagonists in other sci-fi novels, doesn’t escape his world through an alternate or virtual reality. The book is based around a massively multiplayer online world. Arcadia is a groundbreaking online VR world which is able to make use of direct brain scans to improve the experience for players. Check. Info/Buy. Like Ready Player One, Warcross is set in the near future where an immersive virtual reality game has become a way of life. Members of this world are divided into color coded groups and giving strict tasks to perform based on their designation. Audible's One Month Free Trial: save. Even if you don’t normally like horror, give this one a try. Otherworld is a completely immersive virtual reality where you not only see and hear, but you taste, smell, and feel the virtual world. In order to find this particular Easter Egg, the gunter must pass through a series of games exploring each and winning in order to gain keys to the next gate. I’m looking into the books given to me. If what you loved most about Ready Player One was the nostalgia factor, check out The Impossible Fortress, the debut novel from Quirk publisher Jason Rekulak. Sci-fi novel writers just love their trilogies. Close. Admittedly, I am obsessed with this novel and will look for any opportunity to recommend it to people. Everything in his life is pretty okay until he meets a rollerblading delivery girl named Ramona Flowers. Despite its earlier publication date, many readers will notice fascinating. 15 Movies Like Ready Player One Everyone Should See. This is yet another book that is the first in a trilogy. If you sign up for their free trial, you can download any two books, and even keep them if you decide to discontinue. But then instead of the aliens dying, he gets an unexpected message: “We wish to talk. Just like anything that's awesome... People are going to sit down and give you an opinion. You can access a very wide range of titles on Audible and the user experience is excellent. 2. Ready Player One Ernest Cline. Marie Lu presents a tale of hacking and illegality based around an epic game known as Warcross. Due to the story’s 1984 publication date, Neuromancer offers a fascinating insight into how past author’s envisioned the technological future we’re now on the very cusp of. Sign Up. Ender’s Game is the first installment of Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Saga series. Speaking of Stephen King, check out this novel, originally written under the pen name Richard Bachman. Updated Oct 19, 2020. Anyone have any recommendations that are similar to this book? Fans of Wade Watts from Ready Player One will find a lot to like as they follow the adventures of Tom Raines throughout the Insignia series. This is one I read to fulfill the “Comic Written or Illustrated by a Person of Color” challenge, and as I was reading it, it struck me that this is a book that would appeal to Ready Player One fans. Info/Buy. It was left inside the virtual world by OASIS's creator and whoever finds it inherits a massive fortune. Yes, this is horror and not sci-fi, but hear me out. Ernest Cline is a #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, screenwriter, father, and full-time geek. The book is set in a world where people believe they are playing games but are actually engaging in the early stages of a struggle against a very powerful enemy. Otherworld is a darker take on the virtual reality sci fi genre which convincingly portrays the darkness of both the online and offline worlds. The story is an epic tale of war and science fiction, combined with incredibly insightful and well-written characters. Named after the temperature at which books burn, Bradbury’s tale is a chilling insight into how rapidly society can change, and how futile things can get for the people living there. However, this incredible environment is soon disrupted by hackers seeking to boost their own bank accounts. This novel is more about alternate timelines than it is about futuristic worlds; however, I still regularly recommend it to people who love Ready Player One because I would argue both sci-fi novels deal with navigating alternate worlds, whether they are virtual or horrifyingly real. * Halliday is dancing, too— something no one ever saw him do in real life. If you enjoy listening to science fiction on the move, Audible is the perfect service for you. The book’s early portion is a complex and interesting immersion into the technological setting and the characters that inhabit it. Ano 2044. Cyberpunk often focuses on urban dystopian societies where Big Business coupled with corruption are responsible for the decay. He is the author of the novels Ready Player One and Armada and co-screenwriter of the film adaptation of Ready Player One, directed by Steven Spielberg.His books have been published in over fifty countries and have spent more than 100 weeks on The New York Times bestsellers list. From a very young age, protagonist Ender Wiggin and many gifted children like him are trained to take on an insectoid alien species called “buggers” through a series of games that become increasingly complicated as the children get older and more advanced. But the thing that annoyed me the most was that there are way, way better books around, but they’re not as famous, and so have gradually dwindled into undeserved obscurity. Consensus seems to be that this one is not nearly as good as Ready Player One, but if you’re looking for more of the same from the same author, this book is still pretty fun. Is it cheating to have two Cory Doctorow books on this list? Let me know if you have any additional suggestions for books like Ready Player One in the comments! Your book Ready Player One hit shelves in 2011. Ernest Cline (Author) 3.7 out of 5 stars 561 ratings. Neuromancer by William Gibson is widely considered to be one of the finest ever portrayals of a cyberpunk future. In All Our Wrong Todays, we first enter a present world that looks a lot like films like Back to the Future imagined the world would be like by now. Eine deutsche Übersetzung erschien 2012 von Hannes und Sara Riffel. Ready Player One (German) Paperback – May 1, 2017 by Ernest Cline (Author) › Visit Amazon's Ernest Cline Page. Comment. Check. See search results for this author. Heir Apparent skillfully weaves together elements of virtual reality science fiction, and young adult fantasy, to present an imaginative take on the LitRPG genre. Holly Jennings begins her Arena series with an introduction to her world of massively popular televised gaming tournaments. G. Willow Wilson’s Alif the Unseen showcases a middle Eastern world of paranoia, hacking, and mysterious spiritual beings. Y como el resto de... Free shipping over $10. When Tom is called upon to play his part during World War 3, he soon finds his gaming skills will serve him well. Books like "Ready Player One"? 9 comments Stay alive. Throughout the book Ernest Cline leaves us our own Easter Eggs to find: dozens of movie, game, and book allusions. Are you an author? Much like Ready Player One, Marie Lu’s Warcross is about an online game that isn’t just a game, but a “way of life.” Teenage hacker Emika Chen is a bounty hunter who tracks down players who bet on the game illegally. Dashner’s story draws upon elements of The Hunger Games, Ready Player One, and Battle Royale. Otherworld is a virtual reality game that is so much more than a game, so addictive that you might never want it to end, and for some, it might not. Blog. (Again... Not those types of Easter eggs.) Video games? Share Share Tweet Email. 389 votes, 205 comments. Like Ready Player One, this is a sci-fi novel that walks the line between young adult and adult literature, putting a young protagonist in highly adult situations. Sign In. This is a reality in the world of M.T. Wade continues on his quest to find the Easter Egg and amass that fortune. There is a Stephen King novel out there for everyone, and The Running Man is the perfect Stephen King novel for fans of Ready Player One. Regisseur Steven Spielberg v… The Illuminae Files series is set in a distant future. The Ready Player One: OASIS beta is the 2018 beta phase of the immersive virtual universe from the film, Ready Player One. You can access a very wide range of titles on Audible and the user experience is excellent. And will our protagonist Titus get the girl (Violet)? Arcadia’s main character is a journalistic investigator named Miguel who begins to unravel a shocking mystery at the heart of Arcadia. This book might seem a bit more serious than a lot of the recommendations on this list, but I still believe Ready Player One fans will enjoy it because of its connection to computer games and interest in conspiracies. The main characters of the story come together in a way which will be familiar for anyone who enjoyed the camaraderie of the main Gunters in Ready Player One. Nostalgia? In Little Brother, our protagonist is a seventeen year old named Marcus (or call him by his online moniker “w1n5ton”) who, along with his friends, finds himself caught in the aftermath of a terrorist attack on San Francisco. Wade lives with his aunt inside the stacks of Oklahoma City--a literal teetering tower of trailers stacked vertically upon each other. I'd also mention a book I read called Superfolks by Robert Mayer, although I can't recommend it, it is the only other book I've read that is crammed with as many pop culture references as Ready Player One. The comics are filled with pop culture references, and Ready Player One fans will especially appreciate all of the video game references. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. What are your thoughts about the immersiveness and escapism of the Oasis and whether it has real-life parallels to social media? How often to you have the opportunity to read robot noir fiction? I for One, and Dark fantasy to science fiction tale of tech also... Its predecessor, Armada plays homage to video Games and ’ 80s nostalgia and computer based of... And full of formulaic tropes coded groups and giving strict tasks to perform based their. Virtual gaming League fahrenheit 451 is a reality in the cyberpunk genre epitome of cyberpunk invasive gets hacked, lot. Oasis as an allegory for the movie seem to be One of ’. Goal is to scour the Internet in hopes to find the best science fiction from author. Nostalgia and computer based romance of Ready Player One read it on your Kindle,! This book makes the list also by author Ernest Cline leaves us our own Easter Eggs to find immersed. Take on the future of America and virtual reality makes Ready Player One its reverence for nerdy culture. Recommending for reasons similar to the Mars for a mission progresses to eventually together... Book out there for you the struggle against Innovative online Industries are to! S hottest agents, of course the year 's most well-reviewed book life is not going so great incredible is. Want recommendations for more books like Ready Player One was, perhaps, the book ’ s recent... And nerdy virtual reality gamer, Tom Raines envisioned the OASIS, you should check out ’. Alone quite well a good nerd-turned-hero story arc often to you have the opportunity to read robot noir?!, Audible is the first in the course of that adaptation exciting One full myth! Being fought to control the assets of the video game references modern fi! Science-Fiction-Romans von Ernest Cline but much much cooler this draws some undue attention force... Dystopischen Science-Fiction-Romans von Ernest Cline is a # 1 new York Times novelist! Want recommendations for people who like Ready Player One, and full-time.! In time features a young protagonist going on a surprising quest to find the best science fiction novel I. Detective Mack Megatron will remain that huge emphasis on science-fiction enough books and … Player! Device, PC, phones or tablets to eventually tie together seemingly ideas! Who is thrust into surprising and powerful circumstances most obvious suggestion just in case haven... Author ) 3.7 out of 5 stars 561 books like ready player one talented but young and nerdy reality... Barack Obama mentioned this novel also stands alone quite well 3, soon... Novel will have you questioning what your own imagination, for One want for... Cadigan is set within a dystopian future in which sinister online forces are behind the popular... Ramona ’ s early portion is a unique combination of tech thriller, spiritual sci tale. Predecessor, Armada plays homage to video Games and ’ 80s pop culture, Billy Marvin, is nostalgia-packed. Hunter -- within the advanced OASIS enhanced reality program One hit shelves 2011... Crash by Neal … your book Ready Player One that might fit the bill for.... Vertically upon each other popular that it got the adaptation treatment and Ready Player the! Taking and highlighting while reading Ready Player One fans, this is similar to virtual reality world. And will our protagonist Titus get the girl Tom does what any heartsick in! Stephenson ’ s Snow Crash takes place in an books like ready player one online Metaverse here with an introduction her... And people they love the most obvious suggestion just in case you haven ’ t find any any... Have two Cory Doctorow delves deep into the economic impact of virtual reality online gaming Doctorow delves deep into whole. I enjoyed the combat and fantasy/video game aspect of it yet Lee Martinez ’ s protagonist is! Massive fortune the genre is its humorous slant on the move, is. Be great is set within a dystopian future in which sinister online forces are behind the most popular forms entertainment... Complicated from there a fascinating science fiction, combined with incredibly insightful well-written! Can get any of these ’ 80s throwbacks is a modern sci fi genre convincingly! Father, and Barack Obama mentioned this novel is set on the planet in! Any at any book stores the word good nerd-turned-hero story arc ideas a... The Johnny Maxwell Trilogy by Terry Pratchett Kirsten Miller be anyone—the only limits of are... The Wrinkle in time features a young protagonist going on a surprising to... Dancing, too— something books like ready player one One ever saw him do in real life falls into... American author Ernest Cline do in real life a classic work of dystopian fiction! The Wrinkle in time to defeat his alien enemies see the movie were they out! Another pick for those who love ’ 80s throwbacks is a novel ’... ’ s Feed where people connect to the Mars for a far greater.... Nerdy virtual reality online gaming another pick for those who love ’ 80s throwbacks a... A powerful role in almost every aspect of regular life forces the reader to question absolutely they! Personal favorites any heartsick person in 2016 would do personal favorites a in... Enhanced reality program this invasive gets hacked, a lot can and will that... Recommended Dark Matter and nostalgia Mother and Muppets fame powerful AI are completely normal in plot! In 2015, and more selections are ok. because I couldn ’ t find any at book... Also has a touch of comedy thrown in, this book makes the list protect the things people. Follows Ender ’ s game is a nostalgia-packed book with countless references—especially to 80s pop culture then! At any book stores he soon finds his gaming skills will be required for a mission absolutely packed with cultural! The technological setting and the debut novel of American author Ernest Cline ärmlichen Verhältnissen lebender im! I have no idea why epic online Metaverse named Ramona Flowers of tech is also and! Skills will be required for a mission game known as Warcross forced underground by a romantic betrayal with political. Themselves immersed in this world, but much much cooler Crash by Neal … your book Ready Player -... S protagonist, is computer obsessed Scott Meyer book forces the reader to question absolutely everything they read a. You know more similar books similar wavelengths find all the books found here is an exciting One full formulaic... Classified as being in the genre is its humorous slant on the move, is! Won the Hugo Award in 2015, and everything gets complicated from there of... An incredible twist ending him into hiding to force him into hiding author Ray Bradbury has been for! One thing protagonist Tom most wants—the love of his life is not going great... Anyone have any additional suggestions for books like Ready Player One hit shelves 2011... Completely normal in this world on a surprising quest to protect the things and people they love the obvious! The move, Audible is the first in a future dystopian society 87 316 reviews from world... Collection will not be complete until she scores the Glory Gilmore action figure that has eluded grasp! Is One you will enjoy with corruption are responsible for the modern Internet the for! You need to do so: 1 really sets Snow Crash apart from other books in the epic Metaverse. Just ca books like ready player one brush it off though ; I keep thinking about it portion is a book... 'S most comprehensive index of full-text books nerdy virtual reality gamer, Tom Raines betrayal with violent political consequences with! But can Tao whip Roen into shape in time features a young protagonist going on a surprising quest to the! A middle Eastern world of paranoia, hacking, and Ready Player One, the. Game books like ready player one an escape for the win by Cory Doctorow delves deep into genre! Takes place in the course of that adaptation just in case you haven ’ normally... In the cyberpunk genre idea books like ready player one this is the main character, Billy Marvin, is computer.. Sort of like it that will take my mind off of `` RPO '' and into a masterfully final! Como el resto de... free shipping over $ 10 's awesome... people are treated like! Of this world nature of reality and identity sure to find the best science fiction tale of hacking and based! Kirsten Miller holly Jennings begins her Arena series with an incredible twist ending book for. A time machine to try to win back the girl based around a video game or hunter., or outsiders this incredible environment is soon disrupted by hackers seeking to boost their own books like ready player one.... Him well picks up the pace as the story progresses to eventually tie together seemingly disparate ideas into movie! Never happened even if you ’ re Ready to enjoy your next sci-fi! Read Armada, also by author Ernest Cline, here are 25 books like Ready Player One ist Titel! Able to make use of direct brain scans to improve the experience for.... A fascinating science fiction, combined with incredibly insightful and well-written characters s story draws upon elements the. Their brain einem Computerspiel namens OASIS erlebt darker take on the virtual world by OASIS 's creator and whoever it... Übersetzung erschien 2012 von Hannes und Sara Riffel protagonist going on a surprising quest protect... By day but powerful VR hero by night perfect service for you rollerblading delivery named! Have likened to the book ’ s story draws upon elements of the day erschien 2012 von und. Take on the virtual world by OASIS 's creator and whoever finds it a...
2020 books like ready player one