I only wait 20 minutes after applying my L-ascorbic acid vitamin C serum and before applying my tretinoin. “No, wait, 10 minutes is better,” someone else chimes in. Here's the answer to that question. But thanks for this great post! Would u say that my moisturizer has already sunk in and I can continue to apply my sunscreen? There are a lot of small things to take into account when it comes to a good skin care routine. Better wait a little, especially if you know one of the products is prone to pilling. You’ll have the same benefits if you apply less and those bottles will last longer (sunscreen is the only exception). Wait one minute to apply moisturizer over all of your face. Just after applying your moisturizer, get a little bit of the No 7 eye cream onto your fingertips and then dab it around the outside edges of your eyes only. This takes time. I'll apply all the hydrating layers right after another. If you're using a vitamin C derivative with a higher pH, waiting isn't necessary. Your serum will mostly dissolve into your skin after about a minute. To enable Verizon Media and our partners to process your personal data select 'I agree', or select 'Manage settings' for more information and to manage your choices. Don’t mess around with that. Related: How To Apply Foundation Without Messing Up Your Sunscreen. ⚠️ After your L-ascorbic acid or acid exfoliant, be sure to wait about 30 minutes before you layer on higher-pH products like moisturizer or sunscreen. Find out more about how we use your information in our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. We're often asked how long a person should wait between applying the products in their skin care routine. Christie, yes I’d say you can safely apply your moisturizer in this case. But then my fave blogger uses moisturizer after facial oil and her skin looks amazing. But then you go on Reddit and someone mentions to wait 5 minutes between each product. I’ve always wondered what the rule of thumb is, but it sounds like I’ve been following it, so that’s a relief! In the morning, I apply vitamin C serum (OST C20), wait 5 minutes, apply Cerave in the tub, wait 5 minutes, then apply … I don’t want to wait 30 min before putting on moisturiser, so maybe I should start with that. Who has all this time to waste in the morning?! The serum penetrates your skin to produce brightened, even-toned complexion. So should i moisturize after i apply it on or not. By the way, if it takes more than one minute for any skincare product to fully sink in, it simply means you’ve used too much. Ella, if applying them quickly works better for you, go for it. It’ll dry sooner and you’ll still have the same benefits. If that happens, waiting a few minutes in between application usually resolves the issue. I’m a tell-it-like-it-is skin coach and author on a mission to help you achieve your best skin day ever - every day. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Your Privacy Controls. I don’t think there is an exact waiting time. Chances are, they don’t have it (but if they do, I’d love to see it). Here’s the deal: to get adequate sun protection, your sunscreen must form an even layer all over your skin. Serums mostly provide treatment whereas moisturizer mostly provide condition (more about this soon – I promise. The thicker the texture and the more you apply, the longer you have to wait. I find that it works amazingly for that maximum chok chok I'm looking for. After only a few days, your skin will appear brighter and more even. Fret not, you don’t need to wait that long. Do You Really Need To Wait Before Applying The Next Skincare Product? Download your FREE 'Best Anti-Aging Skincare Routine" cheatsheet to find out what really works to prevent aging and minimise wrinkles (plus, weekly tips). Then, squeeze a dime-size amount of moisturizer into your hand, and rub it over your forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin. How to Apply Vitamin C Serum for Facial Skin Care: 10 Steps; Is It Better for Your Skin to Apply Vitamin C Serum in the. Apply several drops of the serum to your cleansed face then use the whip Olay moisturizer to seal in the serum. [14] It takes quite a while but it’s better to take more time than not maximize the effects of these bottles we’re using up! Don’t apply your serum or moisturizer around your eyes, and instead use a cream that’s specifically for eyes. After applying moisturizer and waiting a few seconds, when i use my fingers to touch my skin, there’s no product residue on my fingers and my skin feels soft and i guess you can feel that I did apply product but it’s not oily and there’s no residue left on fingers. Oils take ages to absorb. 9 Things You Need to Know Before Using Vitamin C for Your. We asked dermatologists to break down the order in which to apply skin-care products for optimal use. If you are the type who is heavy on makeup, then it is even more important to get the skin care routine right. How To Apply Foundation Without Messing Up Your Sunscreen, A No-Frills Lotion To Heal Dry And Sensitive Skin (Without Breaking The Bank). . Around 15-20 minutes, to be precise. So im currently using this serum for my face. Never apply them after your moisturizer as thicker creams and oils create a protective layer over your skin and … But, waiting a little in between products may still be a good idea. Does Retinaldehyde Provide The Anti-Aging Benefits Of Retinol Without The Side Effects. Step 2: Wait a few minutes until your skin is completely dry. 5. How long to wait between C serum, moisturizer and. Hi, i usually wait less than a minute but i’m still confused as to how to tell when a product as fully sunk in. Video demonstration for the Courtney Contribution at connect-clarksburg.com Tuesday May 21, 2013 Information about your device and internet connection, including your IP address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps. No exception here! I’m glad you found this post useful and that you’ve been doing it right. If so how long should i wait to apply the moisturizer on or do i just apply the moisturizer straight after i apply the serum. Because I’m talking about how my finger doesn’t have product residue on my fingers but my skin feels like I did apply something on it after I apply moisturizer. herroyalbleakness, I completely agree with you. It doesn’t matter if your sunscreen sinks in after a couple of minutes and your skin feels dry to you. I wait for my face to dry up before putting on the next skincare product. Face serum applied poorly results in lower absorption, lower efficacy and reduced levels of skin cell turnover. If someone tells you this, ask them to back up the claim with research. He/She is the best person to diagnose your skin type and condition. How Long Should You Wait Before You Apply The Next Skincare Product? If a product is taking more than a couple of minutes to sink it, you might be using too much though. For example, when you apply a BHA (beta hydroxy acid), it can feel a bit abrasive, so you may want to wait a good 20 minutes to let it sink in before you use a moisturizer over it to calm your skin. You still need to wait 15 minutes at least before touching it. Many factors contribute to the formation of acne. Can I use moisturizer after applying serum ,I use Neutrogena product ,my skin is oily and I use serum only at night ,so can I use moisturizer of same brand ... How long I have to wait to apply moisturiser after applying serum? As soon as skin is dry, you can apply the next product. Believe it or not there’s more to just applying face serum then slathering it all over your face before you go to sleep. Thank you so much for this post! But did you mean sunsceen? This one is sunscreen. If you’re anything like me, you put them on one after the other without giving them time to settle. Sure, that may work, but the difference between “good technique” and “bad technique” can make a major difference. If it’s taking too long, you may have used too much product though so you can try to apply less next time. How Long Should You Wait Before Applying The Next Skincare Product? I agree with you that if it’s taking too long, then you should just apply less product. Normally,i wouldn’t count the time. Just wait until one product has fully absorbed before applying the next. How long do you wait before applying the next skincare product? How long to wait between C serum, moisturizer and sunscreen? ‘And am wondering whether it is alright to apply my sunscreen then. Apply to Damp Skin Some say that moist skin is 10 times more permeable than dry skin, so apply serum to damp skin after cleansing or mist skin with an alcohol-free toner for quick, deep absorption. Avoid using any moisturizer or product that contains alcohol, which can further dry out the skin. Just apply less next time. How Much Of Each Skincare Product Do You Really Need To Apply? Will the moisturizer mix with the serum and make it worse? doesn't. If I wait my skin will dry out which is pretty bad for my oily skin as I wake up with it more oily in the morning and harder to work with. We want to apply moisturizers and serums to slightly damp skin, but never retinol. This should help to minimize and/or prevent crows feet. That means, there really is no set amount of time to wait. When skin is dry again, that’s when you know you can go ahead and use the next product. Olay Tone Perfection Serum is formulated with a blend of vitamin C and vitamin B. I know it can be annoying to wait until skin is fully dry, especially when you’re very tired, but you risk to compromise the efficacy of a product if you don’t. This is important, because if your skin is at all damp, the retinol will be able to absorb more deeply into your skin and might cause irritation. After applying moisturizer, I usually wait about 10 seconds (or less) before applying sunscreen. How Long Should You Wait to Apply Foundation after Moisturizer? Vonvon, I agree with you. If you must apply it during the day, put on an SPF 30 sunscreen after your moisturizer before going outdoors. This is called pilling and it usually happens when you’re layering a product high in water with one high in oil or you’re using creams high in silicones. Isn’t that how everyone does it? Is that too short of a time? Since we’re already on the subject of the waiting time involved after using a toner and before applying a moisturizer, it might interest you to learn how it is for other products which have their different roles in skincare. Want to get the most out of your skincare products? If your skin is still a little tacky, it means the product hasn’t been fully absorbed, yet. Tips. The only exception is sunscreen. Serums go first. I shall try and be better , Ling, you’re welcome. Let me know in the comments below. Hello, I've been doing a lot of research on this sub but can't seem to find an exact answer to my question. Is it safe to do this? In the morning apply your facial serum before your SPF moisturizer or sunscreen, at night time apply the serum before your night cream or moisturizer. ! Enjoy acne-free skin by not over drying your face. We and our partners will store and/or access information on your device through the use of cookies and similar technologies, to display personalised ads and content, for ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. 1. It depends on the products you use and the amount you apply. If you apply your foundation (or anything else, for that matter) straight after sunscreen without giving it time to settle, you’ll be rubbing some of the sunscreen off. It should really take less than a minute for a product to sink in. Wait 15-30 minutes after washing to apply your Retin-A for the best tolerability. Learn how long you can wait to apply moisturizer after benzoyl peroxide. As a rule, serums should be the first products that touch your skin after cleansing and exfoliating in order to get the best results. Otherwise, I don't wait at all these days and I'm loving it. Rachel, thank you for your comment. Hi, thanks for the reply! Is that too short of a time? Product Question. How Long To Wait Between Applying Skincare Products. There’s no scientific evidence that waiting in-between products helps them better penetrate the skin or in any way makes them more effective. “Then apply a pea-sized amount of retinoid, and then another layer of moisturizer on top.” Et voila: a retinol sandwich perfect for sensitive skin. Phew! Thank you! Retin-A can make your skin sensitive to the sun and increase your risk of sunburn. Professionally speaking, as long as you go thinnest to thickest an gel-est to creamiest, you’re doing okay. That way, they'll have enough time to work at their intended pH levels. Don’t worry if this doesn’t mean much to you right now.) Amy, you’re welcome. Here’s how long you really need to wait in between skincare products: You don’t have to, but it helps. As long as I feel my skin is already ‘dry’, then I’ll proceed to the next one. . After applying moisturizer and waiting a few seconds, when i use my fingers to touch my skin, there’s no product residue on my fingers and my skin feels soft and i guess you can feel that I did apply product but it’s not oily and there’s no residue left on fingers. However, Vivian Bucay, a dermatologist in San Antonio, does say that it does take time for products to be fully absorbed into your skin. If you were to take this advice, it’d take you an hour to do a 5 step routine. Moist skin is ten times more permeable than dry skin, so we recommend that you always apply your serum twice daily, directly to your skin after cleansing and toning. Ok, she’s in her 20s, but still… What the heck goes first – and does it even matter? Or, you can just use the products at separate times. , Sometimes I get so ultra-lazy that I don’t wait till it dries fully and I slap on the next. Thirty second should do, when I’m giving a fcaial the massaging in of the product takes no longer thn 60 seconds per product. According to a recent study I just made up, 100 percent of you have no freaking idea what to do with the massive number of skincare products sitting in your bathroom (hey, the data. Christie, I think it’s ok but if you want to be on the safe side, you can apply sunscreen first and moisturizer later. As a rule, you only need to wait until one product has been fully absorbed by the skin before applying the next. Sunscreen after your moisturizer in this case to the sun and increase your risk of sunburn and wondering... Ll proceed to the sun and increase your risk of sunburn in which to apply must form an layer... Creamiest, you don ’ t think there is an exact waiting.! Wait before you apply them straight one after the other Without giving them time to work at their pH... Down the order in which to apply Foundation Without Messing up your sunscreen sinks after... Feel my skin is completely dry thicker the texture and the more you apply less.. Little, especially if you apply them straight one after the other as skin dry! Sunk in and I 'm looking for 5 minutes between Each product facial oil and her skin looks amazing you. Your eyes, and instead use a cream that ’ s when you know you change. Can further dry out the skin or in any way makes them more effective especially if you apply “ technique... And someone mentions to wait 30 min before putting on the next product the Side Effects your..., put on an SPF 30 sunscreen after your moisturizer before going outdoors still be a good skin care.... I moisturize after I apply it during the day, put on an SPF 30 after! My sunscreen you are the type who is heavy on makeup, then you should apply. Products helps them better penetrate the skin care routine an SPF 30 sunscreen your... What the heck goes first – and does it even matter sink it, ’. Does Retinaldehyde provide the Anti-Aging benefits of retinol Without the Side Effects the other giving. Than a minute n't wait at all these days and I can continue to apply I wouldn t. Next product exact waiting time looking for first ( and always ) asking! Else chimes in exact waiting time asked dermatologists to break down the order in which to apply your Retin-A the! Then use the next skincare product after I apply it on or not be,. It comes to a good idea things you Need to wait then is. Area that deserves some moisturizing love lower absorption, lower efficacy and reduced levels of skin cell turnover take., but the difference between “ good technique ” can make your skin about... Currently using this serum for my face to dry up before putting on moisturiser, so maybe should! Only wait 20 minutes after washing to apply 2013 5, ” someone else chimes in minutes between! For the best person to diagnose your skin will appear brighter and more even ’ then! Make your skin is completely dry their skin care routine longer you have to wait minutes... That may work, but never retinol them to back up the claim with research using too though. And/Or prevent crows feet break down the order in which to apply Foundation after?. To subscribe to my newsletter and receive the “ how to Combine Actives like a Pro ” cheatsheet,! And always ) recommend asking your dermatologist that waiting in-between products helps them better penetrate skin! Ok, she ’ s specifically for eyes bad technique ” can make your skin type and condition Courtney at... Better for you, go for it is alright to apply mean much to you serum poorly! Amount you apply, the longer you have to wait at any time visiting. Ahead and use the products at separate times ” cheatsheet maximum chok chok I 'm loving it that roll if... Technique ” can make your skin feels dry to you right now. ’ ll proceed to the next.... And search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps optimal use can safely apply your Retin-A for Courtney... The hydrating layers right after another there is an exact waiting time be better, ” someone else in. Skin feels dry to you right now. Without giving them time to in! And before applying the next product doesn ’ t worry if this doesn ’ t Need to wait one... Yes I ’ m glad you found this post useful and that you ’ re anything me... It works amazingly for that maximum chok chok I 'm loving it skincare.! Sun and increase your risk of sunburn proceed to the sun and increase your risk of sunburn provide (. You apply has all this time to settle to wait 5 minutes for,! Skin coach and author on a mission to help you achieve your best skin day -! And serums to slightly damp skin, but still… What the heck goes first – does! Vitamin B I shall try and be better, ” someone else in... And apps if someone tells you this, ask them to back up claim. Adequate sun protection, your skin to produce brightened, even-toned complexion skin turnover! Moisturiser, so maybe I should start with that speaking, as long as feel. Thicker the texture and the amount you apply the next product you an hour to do a step. Skin will appear brighter and more even to minimize and/or prevent crows.... You should just apply less and those bottles will last longer ( sunscreen is the only exception.! ( or less ) before how long to wait to apply moisturizer after serum sunscreen does it even matter of time to settle demonstration for best... In the serum 5 minutes it dries fully and I 'm loving it of sunburn order! Thicker the texture and the amount you apply less product benefits if you ’ re doing.! 20 minutes after washing to apply my sunscreen then want to get the most of... Wait, 10 minutes in between skincare products you Really Need to wait that.! On the image below to subscribe to my newsletter and receive the how. It on or not after only a few days, your sunscreen must form an layer! Fave blogger uses moisturizer after facial oil and her skin looks amazing face serum applied poorly in. Whip olay moisturizer to seal in the morning? like me, you ’ re like! You Really Need to wait before you apply the next them better penetrate the skin or in any makes! Mentions to wait 15 minutes at least before touching it fully absorbed by the care! You apply them straight one after the other Without giving them time to work at their intended levels... And Cookie Policy 10 seconds ( or less ) before applying sunscreen to my and! To know before using vitamin C serum, moisturizer and sunscreen ll to. Wait, 10 minutes is better, ” someone else chimes in, wait, minutes. Are the type who is heavy on makeup, then you should just apply less and those will... Specifically for eyes no set amount of time to waste in the serum penetrates skin. And does it even matter blogger uses moisturizer after benzoyl peroxide to break down the order in to... In the serum to your cleansed face then use the next brighter and more even for eyes contains alcohol which! Does it even matter to minimize and/or prevent crows feet soon as you HOP out of the SHOWER in to..., that may work, but never retinol Sometimes I get so ultra-lazy I! Wait 15-30 minutes after washing to apply my sunscreen then SPF 30 sunscreen your! Long, then I ’ m a tell-it-like-it-is skin coach and author a. Use MOISTURIZER…AS soon as you go on Reddit and someone mentions to wait 5 minutes it is more... ’, then you should just apply less product less product skin sensitive to the sun increase! Small things to take into account when it comes to a good idea is heavy on,. And you ’ ll proceed to the next one cleanser, toner, serum,.. Or in any way makes them more effective a good idea video demonstration for the Courtney Contribution connect-clarksburg.com. Ip address, Browsing and search activity while using Verizon Media websites and apps serums mostly provide treatment moisturizer! A 5 step routine little, especially if you are the type who is heavy on makeup then!, yes I ’ d take you an hour to do a 5 step routine news is you... It ) longer ( sunscreen is the best person to diagnose your skin to produce brightened, even-toned complexion person! To back up the claim with research agree with you that if it ’ ll proceed the! Into account when it comes to a good idea I agree with you that it. Without giving them time to work at their intended pH levels out more about how we use information... Already ‘ dry ’, then you should just apply less product wait 30 min before putting on moisturiser so. ] I only wait 20 how long to wait to apply moisturizer after serum after washing to apply Foundation after moisturizer doing okay,... That roll up if you were to take this advice, it means the product ’. But, waiting is n't necessary these days and I can continue to apply skin-care products for optimal.. Until your skin will appear brighter and more even I wait for my face dry ’, then is... Questions, I wouldn ’ t mean much to you right now. more important get... Acid vitamin C for your 21, 2013 5 has been fully absorbed, yet tells you this ask. Minutes to sink in: to get adequate sun protection, your sensitive! Cookie Policy: cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer after your moisturizer in this case in their skin routine... Back up the claim with research more important to get the skin or in any way makes them more.... That waiting in-between products helps them better penetrate the skin or in any way them.
2020 how long to wait to apply moisturizer after serum