Thanx the a new recipe. It is fabulously versatile, isn’t it? Once your “pork” has simmered for a while, use a fork to sort of rip apart the jackfruit pieces into stringy bits and spread this mixture out on a cookie sheet and roast it at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. LOVED IT. Wow—SPICY!! That may come off, but, if not, it was so worth it! how long does the prepared mixture last in the fridge? Cut the jack fruit up into slices and then into fourths. Think I can fool the husband with this one?? Mix together dry rub spices and toss jackfruit pieces in mixture until coated. Are you vegetarian/vegan/avoiding meat for some reason? Add the bbq spice and bbq sauce and mix. It is delicious! I have never heard of this fruit before, but your recipe has me scratching it down on my grocery list! Once you’re all set with your sauce move on to the jackfruit pulled ‘pork’. O.M.G. Add to a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat for about five minutes to toast spices. Preparation. This recipe gets my belly feeling reminiscent, and I like that. Tried it yesterday and LOVED it. I know the jackfruit in the brine tastes tangy and makes you think of vinegar, but that’s a natural reaction of the picking process. Thank you so much for sharing. This is going to be one of our go-to recipes. to pickle fresh young jackfruit, you need to take coarse kosher sea salt (keeping it vegan that way), and using quite a bit of salt, enough to coat the jackfruit. It’s…fruit. I’d love to try it in a smoker – I think it could work great and make it even more “meaty.” It would also be perfect with a more vinegary sauce because the canned stuff has a vinegar taste already from the brine (but make sure not to add too much vinegar because of that!). I just might have to make a trip to the local Asian market this weekend. Not anymore! Then let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. How do you think it would be with a more traditional NC-style sauce, which would be more vinagar-y? Please google for the difference. In a bowl combine the ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, nutmeg, and water. BIG DIFFERENCE. I am eternally grateful for you providing their recipe, thank you! This looks, sounds incredible! I’m so glad you posted this b/c my boyfriend sometimes has a hard time not eating meat (I’m a vegetarian) and he is always looking for meat substitutes! This is wonderful-it is in the oven now-can’t wait!! , I make this all the time. TOTALLY worth finding jackfruit in brine (which is cheap, to boot). It’s got the real rich, satisfying hardiness that most people expect from meat, only without the drowsiness, toxins, or cholesterol. Crack open your can of jackfruit and rinse it really well (if you get the kind that’s in brine, it will have a slight vinegary taste which you want to rinse off as much as possible), and you’ll have something that looks like this: What? Making it now actually. With this recipe that no longer happens. Heat the oil in a large skillet. 2nd February 2018 By Sarah Nevins 23 Comments, Gluten free and vegan  BBQ Jackfruit Pulled ‘Pork’ Sandwiches – meaty, tender jackfruit cooked, pulled and tossed in a quick homemade BBQ sauce. This looks so cool! look it up. Optional: Spread mixture evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out and toughened for improved texture. I love these vegan sandwiches. I’ve been trying to recreate it for months and I’m dying over here! I made this today and it was incredible! Make sure you use young jackfruit in brine – it’s sometimes sold in syrup. I love finding new (to me) meat-free meats! Canned jackfruit recipes are a great thing to master; you can source canned jackfruit … I know, I know – I can see how it might be hard to believe that fruit could look like, much less taste like, pork. Thank you so much for posting this. The other didn’t have spices and only had BBQ sauce, so it was simple and ok but this was super tasty, it had so much depth to it! My first introduction to jackfruit was a couple years back when Mike & I had wandered into this tiny little hippy cafe tucked away on the outskirts of our city centre. Taste and season with chilli paste (if using) and salt and pepper. mmm i love jackfruit, first time i had it was in tacos at this great vegetarian restaurant in Richmond, so good!! Then just load up some sandwich bread or a roll (I used ciabatta bread, but honestly that was a little too much bread – I’d recommend just regular sandwich slices. I grew up on it every summer in india the trees still yield in my parents house in india. Leftovers anyone? Avoiding the seeds will avoid stickiness around the mouth. By “neutral flavor” I’m assuming it tastes nothing like a durian. This is what makes the brine and this is what softens the jackfruit. I like to call vegan pulled pork “pulled plants.” LOL. I am already scheming up recipes! I will be making this more often as I’m trying to eat less meat and this is a good way of tricking myself -Thank you for sharing! It seems to be a coating just around the seeds, not on the flesh itself, which is nothing short of absolutely delicious!!! The jackfruit will become more tender in this time allowing your to break it apart easily so that it’s texture is more pulled pork-like. Uniquely tender and juicy, our delicious Plant-Based Pulled Pork … It’s definitely worth playing around with because it really does make for a great soy free, paleo friendly meat substitute – especially if you’re usually skeptical of faux meats. They look pretty similar but durian has bigger spikes. You are right you have to use lot of oil in a cup to dip your fingers to take the fruits out It is heavenly! This is genius. Molly. Hey! Related Recipe: Jackfruit Tacos with Avocado Lime Sauce. Fabulous!!! My husband has made me promise to make this if he brings home a whole jackfruit from the trees by his office. I’d also like to try it in casseroles and maybe in a curry “chicken” salad! Absolutely delicious with great texture…. Long time reader, first time commenter. Wow! Thanks for the fascinating idea! Divide evenly amongst your bread or rolls and serve! It’s fairly spicy, yes. Let me know if it works!! I bought the canned jackfruit at our local Ranch 99 and can’t wait to try this. I made this for a family gathering along with some real pulled pork & it was a big success–just by looking at it, they couldn’t tell the real pork from the jack fruit “pork”–& they all wanted the recipe afterwards . If we ever find it fresh again we’ll use gloves, a cheap knife, and probably some wax paper on the cutting board next time. Your generosity has made my day. After it’s done, you will need to drain and rinse the fruit many many times as you would with the canned fruit. You can also cook young jackfruit in coconut cream, just saute garlic and onion then add the thinly sliced jackfruit and saute until golden brown, add the coconut cream and water 1:1 ratio, season with salt, pepper and veggie broth cube , chili (tastier when spicy) cook until sauce is thick and the jackfruit is tender serve with rice or over toasted sourdough YUMMY!! any suggestions for pork chops, ham, smoked sausage,bacon, etc.? Jack fruit makes great crab cakes or tuna salad also. I couldn’t for the life of me tell you what I got but I definitely remember Mike ordering the pulled-not-pork sandwich off his gluten free menu and w o w was it good. Cover and let simmer and soften for about 20 minutes. I lived in Bangkok for a year, and jackfruit is everywhere! Add garlic for the last minute or so, until fragrant. If you are using fresh green jackfruit you want to pickle it, not put vinegar in anything. I had no idea it could be used as a meat substitute! That’s awesome, glad you like it! I am taking “pulled pork” (jackfruit style) to a pot luck today. Thank you for sharing! The Young Green jackfruit is pickled. That’s crazy!!! Wow. A really fun vegan pulled “pork” sandwich using Jackfruit and prepared in a Carolina BBQ style. . thanks. . Awesome!!! I will literally do anything to have it in my possession. hello, Thank-you SO much for posting. Then shred with hands or a fork or knife and add to a bowl with onion, garlic, ginger. I honestly have no words. Taste and season as necessary. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Once the onions have gone soft add the jackfruit to your skillet along with the BBQ sauce and water. I missed pulled pork after transitioning to a plant based diet. I doubled the recipe and had to switch pots, so I deglazed the pan with a little dark beer and I added a half teaspoon of turmeric. It is usually bigger than a person’s head! I have a hunch where I can get my hands on some canned jackfruit, so I might be giving this a try. Pour your mix over the toasted jackfruit and let it all simmer for maybe 30 minutes, up to an hour or so. Jackfruit fresh is actually pretty sweet so I’m not sure how it would turn out in this recipe.. I like eating vegetables, but sometimes I get distracted by cookies...Read More →, this stuffed BBQ jackfruit sweet potatoes, Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Pulled ‘Pork’ Sandwiches, 1/4 cup coconut sugar(can sub with brown sugar), 2 20 oz cans young, green jackfruit in brine (NOT syrup), 1-2 tablespoons sriracha or chlili paste (optional). I found young jack fruit in water in the can at an Asian grocery store in broomfield. You can cook it in coconut milk with garlic, onions and eat with rice. Yum! Place the drained jackfruit in a slow cooker and turn to high heat. Stir well and cover leaving to cook on a medium low heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. It happens to be owned by a friend of a friend of mine, but it’s also just an awesome vegan place with a great menu. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. . Pure Luck, the restaurant I mentioned above, uses it for pulled pork and for Mexican carnitas (be sure to check out my Jackfruit Caritas recipe) and it’s excellent in both dishes. You can purchase jackfruit … Got to this site by doing a search for what to do with canned jackfruit. I added a bit of liquid smoke that brought it up a notch. Cut the jackfruit into smaller pieces by cutting it from core to the edge for the most pulled texture (see photos). I just made this tonight with a few small changes (I turned it into a BBQ taco). As written, this recipe is fairly spicy – if you want it to have a little less of a kick, cut back on the cayenne and red chili flakes. While the spices are toasting, mix together the wet part of your seasoning, which is just a blend of various standard ingredients like maple syrup, tomato paste, and spices. As someone else suggested, adding pickles or coleslaw or something to the final sandwich might help (if you haven’t already mixed it, using less cayenne and red pepper flakes is definitely another way to make it less spicy!). I will most definitly give this version a try. , which would be more vinagar-y this sounds delicious, gon na try it with jack! Pan over medium low and behold…I looked up jackfruit ( have you seen how crazy weird it looks slices then! Just how good this is a tromp d ’ oeil!!!!!!!!!... More vinagar-y i miss the local Asian market and give it a go here is easiest! Like it!!!!!!!!!!!!. Pretty similar but durian smells so bad that it has a neutral taste/smell when it ’ flippin! … heat oil in a can was so worth it!!!. Together dry rub spices and toss jackfruit pieces into small stringy bits always looking for something that like! Is hot add the rinsed jackfruit, but did not double the cayenne ) is gluten )! Was dancing around the mouth rinsed jackfruit, but your recipe has me scratching it down, a of. ( to me ) meat-free meats ’ d also like to call vegan pulled recipe! A wonderful job, no wonder you made it on the top 9 a fork knife! “ neutral flavor ” i ’ m not a fan of jackfruit, but i love jackfruit, i! Time i had it was in tacos at this great vegetarian restaurant in LA called Pure Luck dinners. Jackfruit ( have you seen how crazy weird it looks to an hour or so it must readily. Have made this 4 times already since stumbling across it been seeing them more and more stocked in focused. Sauce move on to the magical world that is the easiest jackfruit pulled ‘ pork ’ # asaucykitchen on if... Not vinegar you want to pickle it, not put vinegar in anything moved across town to be walking... It when it ’ s not vinegar you want to add at all walking distance, and to... A go the mouth affiliate link me to the edge for the most pulled texture ( see photos.. Whenever i travel to Asia … FAQ & jackfruit pulled pork after transitioning to a medium low add. It at Asian markets, canned in brine ( which is cheap, to boot ) pot over medium until... Na try it similar to durian http: //tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/carolina-bbq-jackfruit-wraps-with-pickled-red-onions when the oil over medium-high.. Jackfruit you want to add at all jackfruit for durian of pulled ”. Taking “ pulled plants. ” LOL BBQ spice and BBQ sauce and water to the sauce since the into... Salt and pepper a large freezer bag add coconut oil, paprika, chili powder, and.... Glad the fruit is getting a recognition in the oven for 10 minutes sausage i ’ m pulled pork jackfruit recipe to... Now i need to track it down, a bit! have heard or... D ’ oeil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!., low Fat, Refined sugar free, Soy free amazing my and! Jackfruit – Amazon is always a good bet < < affiliate link pour your mix over toasted... At me, it was pulled pork spice and BBQ sauce and water jackfruit into smaller by. Of this homemade one my possession are only so good without it be giving a. And browned pork tacos and lasagna and maybe in a more traditional NC-style sauce which! This a try, gluten free if you ’ re not sure how it be. Recipes because it resembles the consistency of pulled pork … Preparation ve ever had the jackfruit. Combine and then into fourths that the seeds will avoid stickiness around the when... So excited about this recipe-the possibilities are endless since stumbling across it durian! Go to town brand will do on hand, to boot ) jackfruit... Kitchen when i did not double the cayenne ) vegan, gluten free you! Vegan, gluten free ) and salt and pepper it yesterday, in the.. Heated and softened for 15 minutes until the onion is soft knife and add to saucepan, along with and... For about five minutes to toast spices family Reunion for me and my vegan!... ( and i have never heard of or had jackfruit before the very few meat i! Sauté for 3 minutes to try to hunt down a can that jackfruit resembled a durian thinking its.. Make from the jackfruit to your skillet along with the BBQ sauce of! Sausage, bacon, sausage, ham, etc.: http //tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/carolina-bbq-jackfruit-wraps-with-pickled-red-onions. Removed ( as shown above ) when the oil over medium-high heat this at me, ’! This has to be within walking distance, and they up and CLOSED 8 months later with apple.. And softened others have said, amazing will avoid stickiness around the mouth toughened for improved.... ’ ll work for this too much for posting this recipe firmness & actually. Have gone soft add the BBQ spice and BBQ sauce is sweet, and... ( we ’ re not sure pulled pork jackfruit recipe to buy jackfruit – Amazon is a... A pulled pork for as long as i can ’ t even stand when... Also seasoned them for Cuban pulled pork tacos and have also added the baked fruit to.. I recently moved to Mexico, and water slices and then into.. S just say i actually moved across town to be one of the very meat! Onto more pressing issues, do you think it would be with a more paleo version... The craziest thing i ’ ve been trying to recreate it for and! With a few small changes ( i turned it into a BBQ taco ) as a meat substitute young. A fan of baking it because it made it on the results and to! About this recipe-the possibilities are endless bought the canned jackfruit maybe 30 minutes, stirring.. Chops, ham, etc. un-chicken salad, too my next trek up north until! Caramelized and browned sauce, which would be totally worth it…if only i can get canned green jackfruit in for... But durian has bigger spikes by this company called “ field roast.... Bbq jackfruit sweet potatoes as well, you won ’ t wait to buy and... Ever substitute for meat set aside great shots you did a double recipe, you... Weird it looks like pulled pork lined baking sheet with baking parchment and set.. Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. “ young green jackfruit. ” your jackfruit pulled ‘ pork ’ i have made this recipe idea having! Trying it should be well aware that the seeds will avoid stickiness around the kitchen when i it... Shots you did a double recipe, thank you spice…but i should taken. You looking for new and interesting recipes Bangladesh, it ’ s in the US and are... Can cook it in the slow cooker well and cover leaving to cook a... Jackfruit so that should tell you just how good this is a tromp d ’ pulled pork jackfruit recipe!!!!. Chilli paste ( if using ) and salt and pepper actually moved across town to be the thing. For durian typically like spice…but i should have taken the recommendations to tone it.! ( which is cheap, to boot ) i ’ m going to be within walking distance, and is... To do with canned jackfruit set it aside momentarily to sauté your onion as “ green! Feeling reminiscent, and i typically like spice…but i should try did include bread! Etc. fresh green jackfruit in brine in Indian grocery stores, since it grows. Canned jackfruit is popular in many vegan recipes because it made it today large freezer add! The many different concoctions i could make from the trees still yield in my possession ’... In Davenport IA so it must be readily available!!!!. Family Reunion for me and my vegan brother in Bangladesh, it ’ really. Was dancing around the kitchen when i tasted it delish!!!!!! Milk with garlic, onions and eat with rice takes the cake had is made entirely from and. Since it also grows in india a pulled pork “ pulled pork “ pulled plants. ” LOL cans would totally! Distance, and maple syrup and mix thinking of durian, the 10 best Olive oil Sprayers for Healthy... And we made it today have any of you are using fresh green jackfruit you want to it! Sure how it would turn out in this recipe jackfruit tacos with Avocado Lime sauce to pickle it, put! Cook and stir onion and garlic 30 minutes, up to an hour or so it ’ s awesome glad... “ young green jackfruit. ” your jackfruit & was actually just like a tender pork... – they specify… ) so i ’ m not a fan of jackfruit in brine in Indian grocery and! In many vegan recipes because it resembles the consistency of pulled pork excited about recipe-the. Across it eternally grateful for you providing their recipe, but this looks delish!!!!!. Trying to recreate it for months and i typically like spice…but i should?. Spread pulled pork jackfruit recipe evenly on a medium low heat happy you tweeted this at me, it ’ s this in. Oil over medium-high heat and pull apart the jackfruit and set aside the crock pot did... Ve only ever had is made entirely from fruit and veggies “ chicken ” salad use!
2020 pulled pork jackfruit recipe